Friday, September 24, 2010

I'll give you an answer, just not a correct one.

I should be examined by National Geographic on one of those medical mystery dramas. The ones where I am interviewed in a dimly lit room punctuated by moments of a dramatic reenactment. My character would be portrayed by a rarely-used actress, like Kelly from Life Goes On or something. So there's Kelly, playing "Carrie", and she is shown in a work environment. A nearby coworker casually muses to herself about the origins of the blue jean. There is no need for a response, but "Carrie" confidently states, "Oh, I think jeans come from the mid-western farmers who needed sturdier clothes to work the fields."

"Sadly, this is a common event in the life of Carrie," the narrator interjects. "She suffers from a genetic disorder. A disorder passed down from her mother, and her mother's sister, Diane. Carrie feels the need to give inaccurate information and pass it off as a statement of fact."

It's true. I have the affliction I spent years accusing my mother of having. I once listened to my mother and Diane talk at length about a field of crops we had passed by driving on a country road in Texas. They had not only come to the conclusion-quite quickly- that it was asparagus, but had also agreed that asparagus was the main export of Fredericksburg. I endured this nonsensical chatter for as long as I could stand before I had to be the voice of reason.

"Not only is that not asparagus, neither of you have any experience whatsoever in the field of agriculture. You are a realtor, and you are a banker. And that is hay. Not asparagus, hay. And you really should also know that the American Alligator is not a native species here. Really a non-issue. Too bad that guy on the plane is now sadly misinformed for life."

And now, coworkers give me the same sympathetic look of false encouragement you would give a three-year-old who thinks they're a great artist. I will hear myself tell Taylor that you should apply ice to sore muscles after running, and then there will be a long pause between us. Because I don't run, Taylor is training for a marathon, and she is too nice to point out my massively ill-informed 'knowledge'.

"I'm talking out my rear end, again." I concede.

"You are. That's okay."

I don't know the name of the pine tree in Florida we once saw, but Mom, Diane and I all agree it is a "Princess Pine". I don't even know if that's a real type of tree. I don't know that the blue jean actually originated in 17th century France in the town of Nimes, but it doesn't stop me from answering. It's like I can hear the nonsense leave my mouth, and think, hmm..there is a 25% chance that is a real answer...

Just be prepared. If you are ever in a room with me, my mother, or my aunt, that you should keep an open mind and have access to Google. Because you most likely just got fed a whole lot of nonsense.

2 comments:

  1. This is so wonderful....
    For me this is just one of the things that makes you Carrie...someone we all like very much!

    And you know, you are supposed to ice sore muscles, so there you go :)

    Love this blog.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hmmm... perhaps I am starting to understand why you got your husband a *Google* phone

    ReplyDelete